Friday, January 23, 2009

Why are kids so mean?

So this afternoon a group of kids from our neighborhood, about 6 of them, were gathered in the pool parking lot which happens to be right across the street from our house. Owen and Gracie were watching them through the window and I told them to go out and talk to them. Within seconds they had their shoes on and were headed across the street. I should have taken a picture because Owen was holding Gracie's hand. He's such a great brother! Anyway, I'm standing up by the front door watching them, but not letting them know I'm watching, and two of the boys pointed at Grace and said "why does she walk so funny" and chuckled. Then all the kids started laughing very loudly. Keep in mind these kids range from about 6 to 13. Being the mom I am I darted over there to rescue her. I told the two little boys that it wasn't very nice to laugh at people and that she has very special legs. Then I scooped her up and grabbed Owen by the hand and ran in the house. I know I didn't handle the situation appropriately, I just didn't know what to do. I guess I should have been preparing myself for this exact situation long ago. Gracie is fine, didn't seem to bother her a bit thank goodness. Needless to say I am still in tears for my little girl while writing this :(

3 comments:

Missy said...

O Jessi, I would have done the exact same thing. It is amazing how mean kids can be and it's hard to know how to handle those situations. I am glad that she didn't seem to be affected by it. We'll just have to pray God helps her maintain that for years to come.

Summer Jean Photography said...

Even kids without special legs get things said about them at some point in their life. Those kids will have their time too and someday might look back and feel bad for things they did. I hope they do.
I am very sorry this happened, Jess.
Your motherly instinct just took over to save your kids from hurt. I think any of us would have or would have wanted to do the same thing.
I would put money on this...someday one of those little boys is going to want to date your little Gracie because she is going to be a knock out beauty! :o) They will be hanging out in the pool parking lot just trying to get her to notice them!

Your Uppercase Living Demonstrator said...

Oh Jessi! I want to throw up, that makes me sick. I am so sorry. From being the fat girl in my group of friends in school, and not feeling like I fit in from family stuff, my heart breaks. Please do not let this discourage you from finding other kids for them to play with...they are not all like that. Pray over your babies, and pray for God to bring you good families. We love you!